These are a series of Unity experiments into how avatars may be customized in VR.
I thought of, prototyped, and coded all of the following interactions.Github Repo
Before starting to prototype, I started coming up with all the ways I could think of to change an avatar in VR. These were then sorted into categories in order to pare them down to the most common interactions
Drag on to Change
Description of interaction
- Easy for users to understand—it could also be themed to make the connection easier to make (e.g. use a paintbrush to change the texture of your head)
- Every time you pick something up, it implies you change the appearance of your hands. You either need a different way to change your hands, or change the appearance of your hands last.
- Can be imprecise and easily accidentally triggered.
Slash to Change
Options are around the user. To select an option, the user uses the sticks in their hands to touch the option.
- Easy for users to understand the interaction
- Requires multiple steps to change anything other than the items you're holding